Monday, April 21, 2014

Salmon Salad with Homemade Honey Mustard Vinaigrette

Have I ever said that if there ever was a match made in Heaven, it was most certainly the fish and the avocado? I still stand by that. Especially after noshing on this delicious salad post-workout. 
There is an ungodly amount of protein in this salad from the salmon, to the egg, to the avocado. More than my body needs for sure. Full of Omega-3 fatty acids from the salmon and avocado, too! More than my body could handle back when I still had a gallbladder--I've been sans gallbladder for three or four years and could not stomach avocados because of their richness and high fat content. Anyway...That's not the point. The point is that this salad is loaded so it will keep you full and it's clean so it will keep your body happy. :)

I would strongly advise not eating this pre-workout. Foods with high fat content (even good fat) affect my performance in the gym by slowing me down. It's great post-workout because the protein will help your muscles recover. 

I like finding recipes that don't require a massive grocery store haul. I had two salmon filets in the freezer from when they had gone on sale at Whole Foods months ago. I boil all my eggs at the beginning of the week so I didn't even have to do that! I only had to purchase the red onion (I always have it on hand but had just used up my last one...) and the avocado. Avocados are tricky for me. They usually end up going to waste so I only buy one or two at a time and that's plenty. The list of ingredients is pretty short and the recipe doesn't require much prep other than baking the salmon and chopping the veggies. Can't get much simpler than that! 

While salmon is very healthy, I try to limit my overall fish intake to 2-3 meals a week. I halved the original recipe (to yield 2) and made some changes based on my preferences. If you're planning to eat one serving, make sure you let the other salmon filet cool and then store it separately from the other ingredients in the fridge. 

Ingredients
For the salad: 
2 6oz salmon filets
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Mixed salad greens (I just used chopped romaine with a handful of spinach because it's what I had on hand)
Two hardboiled eggs
1 ripe avocado
Thinly sliced red onion, to liking
Sliced cherry tomatoes, to liking
For the dressing:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp Fage 0% Greek yogurt
1/2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp dijon mustard (I like a lot but add less if you want it more sweet than tangy)
Sald and pepper to taste

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place salmon filets skin side down on the foil. Drizzle with olive oil (spread it around with a spoon to coat it evenly) and season to taste with S&P. While the salmon is baking, combine all the dressing ingredients, except S&P, together in a small jar. Shake to combine and then season to taste with S&P. Place in the fridge until ready to serve. 

Slice the hard boiled eggs, avocado, red onion, and tomatoes. 

Once the salmon is done baking, remove the skins. On a large plate or bowl, add your mixed greens. Top with hard boiled egg, avocado, red onion, and tomatoes. Place a salmon filet on top and then drizzle with the vinaigrette. 

Nutritional Breakdown:
611 calories
20g carbs
40g fat (mostly from salmon and avocado!)
33g protein
8g sugar

xEnjoy! 

Recipe adapted from Annie's Eats.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment